Monday, June 29, 2009

Bread of Life

Well, I have been baking bread all day while juggling and chasing S since he can't go outside (in the front) without me. (long story about mean neighbors) Anyway, I am baking bread cause everytime I go to the store I end up with a million things I want but don't need. I can't remember where I got these recipes, probably the Taste Of Home magazine, but I have tweeked them just a bit to make them my own.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread

5 cups water (70-80 degrees)
1/2 cup honey or sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
6 Tablespoons salt
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
7 cups white flour (or bread flour)
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups quick oats
2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
2 Tablespoons gluten (optional)

Place water and sugar in a Bosch or Kitchen Aid mixer. Add yeast, let sit for about 5 minutes till foamy on top. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix for 5-6 minutes. Let rest in mixer (or another bowl, greased) till doubled in size (about 45 min. to an hour). Punch dough down and let it sit again for 20 minutes while you prepare the pans. Grease (using Pam) 4 bread pans and set aside. Divide dough into 4 loaves and put into prepared pans. Let them rest again for 30-45 minutes or until doubled. Turn oven to 350 and bake bread for 30-35 minutes or golden brown. When they are done, take out of pans and let cool on wire racks so they don't get soggy.



Cinnamon Swirl Bread

1 cup warm milk (70-80 degrees)
1/4 cup water (70-80 degrees)
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3-4 cups flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

This recipe fits into a bread machine pan if wanted. I just use my Bosch since I usually have to double it.

Place water and milk into Bosch mixer, add yeast and sugar and let sit for 5 minutes till foamy. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix for 5-6 minutes. Dough should be elasticy and slightly sticky. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10 X 8 inch rectangle. Mix together 2 Tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cornsyrup & 1 Tablespoon cinnamon together and spread onto the dough rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with short side. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down in two greased 9 X 3 inch pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, then cover with foil for 5-10 more minutes (sometimes I do this and sometimes I don't). Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Sometimes I change the filling to orange. Just switch out the cinnamon filling with this: 2 Tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons corn syrup, 2 teaspoons orange zest and 1 teaspoon orange extract.

These are both yummy breads and freeze well for later. I will try to post a picture of the baked goods when I can figure out how to load the pictures! :)

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try the oatmeal one! It sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy having new recipes to try. They sound great.

    ReplyDelete